Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Angeluna, by Jack, aka Phil Devoid

The prompt directions were:
In this exercise your M.C. (from WiP or not) is faced with 2 choices, both of which go against the grain.
After providing a brief but well-anchored character sketch, tell (show) us what the alternative consists of, the decision he or she makes and why she/he could not have made any other.



Angeluna: Is a sultry girl with many personality quirks. Her name is actually derived from Gringlish, Spanish sounding language made up by Anglos that don’t speak a word of it. Whether they meant Angel-Moon or Crazy-Angel is unclear for she has passed through many foster rooms before landing permanently at the home of the Burton’s. She is beautiful, she is black and she is either extremely lucky or extremely unlucky depending on your perspective. She’s unlucky to have had so many close encounters with untimely death. Accidents just seem to be waiting for her around every corner. On the other hand she has survived them all and considering how many there have been she’s lucky indeed.

Angeluna’s POV

I am pissed, as pissed off as I’ve ever been in my life. I know it doesn’t make sense but that new little baby boy they just adopted makes me furious. Just looking at him triggers something inside me that makes me want to run away forever. For one thing he reminds me of my dead brother. That abusive bastard treated me like dirt from the day we were born. I was never free to be me while he was alive. I had to watch my every step. I could never ask for what I needed for fear of sparking his wrath. I’m twice the size of little Louie just like my brother Tommy was twice the size of me. It doesn’t matter; I’m just as scared of him as I was of Tommy. I take one look at him and I want to run.

Now I’ve got to decide what I’m going to do. Do I leave or do I stay? I’ve been gone all night and I’m sure everyone’s freaking out about it. I’m so hungry I’m dizzy but I can’t even eat when that little brat is watching me. I could easily kick his ass but every time I even think about him I remember Tommy and get so scared I could pee myself.

I decided to stay. I’m not going to let that upstart rule my life and I’m through letting the memory of Tommy mess with me. Besides I know my new family simply couldn’t live without me and I feel almost sorry for them. They just better not forget that I’m the one they love and they better not be petting and brushing him instead of me. I guess it could have been worse; they could have brought home another dog. So I’m just going to sit up here on top of the refrigerator where I know he can’t get me and give myself a bath then I’m going to curl up and take a nice long nap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home