Saturday, January 27, 2007

January Flash, The Winner: Don't Tell, by Ginny

Don't Tell
As the fog began to gather in the moonlight, a thin figure of a woman lingered by the window. She stared out at the headlights on the drive with a blank expression on her face.
“Mrs. Collins?”
The woman turned from the window “Yes, Lydia?”
“I think Mr. Collins is on the drive. Would you like Hector to start a fire in the study?”
“That would be wonderful. Thank you.” She nodded her approval as she said it. “Why don’t you go ahead set out the brandy as well? He’s been working so hard lately.”
“Si Senora.” And the housekeeper disappeared behind the large oak door.
Mrs. Collins went to the mirror and stared at her reflection. She touched the lines on her face, wondering where the years had gone. It wasn’t just the lines. Her body ached more than it used to and the headaches grew stronger every day.
The sound of her husband’s voice woke her from her daze and she brushed her fingers through her hair and adjusted her satin housecoat around her shoulders. She smiled before she went downstairs to greet her husband.
“Hello Senator.”
“Grace, my love.” Mr. Collins said as he began to take of his blazer. “I’m sorry I’m so late again. We’re working like maniacs on this new immigration bill and it is taking longer than we thought it would. Please forgive me.” He loosened his tie and kissed her on the cheek.
“Don’t apologize, Darling. I’m so proud of your work.” She turned to pour him a glass of brandy as he took a seat in front of the fire. “How is Amanda these days?”
She handed him the glass and when he reached to take it, he touched her hand. He let it linger there and she smiled at the look in his eyes. Warm. Inviting. With a quick motion, he took the drink and pulled her to his lap. “You are so beautiful.” He whispered into her ear.
“Don’t be cruel, Edward. I’ve seen myself in the mirror.”
He placed the glass on the table, wrapped both arms around her waist and leaned his head against her chest. “I’m not trying to be cruel, Grace.” He put the glass on the side table and wrapped both arms around her waist. “I would never hurt you.”
She stroked his hair and closed her eyes. “I know, Dear. I’m sorry I said it. Today has been a rough day. Dr. Myer came by with the test results.”
“And?”
“It’s spreading. Not that I needed him to tell me that.”
He pulled her closer to him. “And you are sure you don’t want to continue the treatments?” He asked.
“I can’t do the chemo again. I just can’t.” She choked with emotion on the last word.
They held each other in silence, lost in their own thoughts of what the future held for them. While they sat together, forces were at work that would test the depth of their commitment. ************************************************************************ “Miss Perkins?”
“Yes?”
“My name is Raymond Walters and I’d like to ask you a few questions about Senator Collins.”
“Are you a reporter?” She asked.
“Yes I am. I’m with the National Livewire and we are very interested in the bill he’s working on.”
“I’m sorry Mr. Walters but I’m not at liberty to discuss this bill. We are still working on it. You’ll just have to wait for the press release.”
“What about rumors that he is considering running in the next presidential election?”
“I don’t know what you are referring to.”
“Is it true that you haven’t dated anyone since you’ve been working for the Senator?”
“My personal life is non of your business and I find this entire line of questioning offensive. Good day, Mr. Walters.” And she hung up the phone.
************************************************************************
Before leaving for work, Mr. Collins stopped by his wife’s bedroom. He found her sitting up in bed, eating the breakfast while Lucinda prepared her bath.
“How are you feeling this morning, Grace?” He kissed her on the forehead.
“Not too bad. My sister is coming over for lunch today. Would you like to join us?” She asked with a wink.
He feigned a shiver and let the sarcasm seep from his voice. “Oh no! Is that today? I’m sorry but I’m going to have to miss that.”
She laughed. “Well then, I’ll just have to tell her that you don’t love her any more. She’ll be absolutely heart broken.”
“It’s good to see you smile.” He said as he glanced down at the nightstand covered in pill bottles. “Do you have to take all of these?”
“Only if you want me to smile, Dear.” She winked at him.
His face grew serious. “Are you in pain, Grace?”
She nodded and smiled. “Some days are better than others and today is a better day.”
His stomach tightened as he wondered how much time they had left together. “Have a nice lunch with your sister. I’ll be home early tonight.”
“Don’t hurry. I know what your life is like. I’ll be here waiting with open arms and a glass of brandy. Don’t forget to pick up your tux. We’ve got that fundraiser this Friday.”
“I promise I won’t forget.”
************************************************************************
“Grace, darling, you look terrible!”
“You’re looking lovely as well, Barbara.” Grace answered as they seated themselves in the solar. “I’m glad you waited until after we’d finished eating to tell me.”
“Oh please. You know I love you but this whole dying thing is not good for your skin.” Barbara tried to smile.
“You’ve never been really great at humor, you know.” Grace said. She saw the tears in her sister’s eyes. “What’s the matter?”
Barbara began to sob. “Everything! What am I going to do without you? You’re the only one in the entire world who likes me.” She bowed her head.
Grace handed her a handkerchief. “That’s not true.”
“Yes it is. Herbert doesn’t even like me. I don’t know if he ever did.”
“Why would you say something like that? He adores you!”
“Because he’s having an affair. I hired a private detective and I’ve got photos to prove it. He loves my money, but not me.” Barbara wiped her eyes and lifter her head.
“I’m so sorry. What are you going to do?”
“I’m seriously considering poisoning the bastard. Have you got anything in your pill stash that would help me?”
“Only if you don’t want him to feel any pain on the way out.” Grace answered.
************************************************************************ The restaurant was filled with noise of daily chatter and at a table in the back sat Senator Collins with his assistant. They did not speak often and when words were used it was in reference to the new bill. The waiter had just served the coffee when a man approached their table.
“Senator Collins?” the man put out his hand. “I’m Raymond Walters.”
The senator rose slightly from his seat, took the younger man’s hand and said “Nice to meet. Mr. Walters. This is my assistant, Miss…”
“Miss Perkins. I know. We spoke over the phone yesterday.”
Senator Collins raised an eyebrow. “Did you now?”
“Oh yes, we’re old friends.” He winked at Miss Perkins.
She frowned at Mr. Walters as she spoke to the senator. “Mr. Walters is a reporter, Senator.”
Mr. Walters ignored her. “I was hoping I might ask you a few questions.”
“Mr. Walters, I’d appreciate it if you’d call my office and make an appointment. I’d be happy to meet with you at a better time.”
“Oh, I’m sorry senator. I didn’t realize that this was a private lunch. How often do you two have these lunches?”
“That is not an appropriate question, young man. Please leave or I will call someone to help you out.”
“Young man? Well now, I don’t think I’m much older than Miss Perkins here. And how old are you again?”
The senator nodded at a rather large man waiting in the doorway. Mr. Walters saw him approaching and smiled. “No need for that, senator. I’m leaving. How about that drink later tonight, Miss Perkins, or will you be working late?” He did not wait for an answer and walked away.
“What was that about, Amanda?”
“I’m sorry I forgot to tell you Edward. He called me at home last night. He wanted to know about the new bill and your plans for the presidency.” She tried not to look worried and looked around the room before she spoke again. “He also asked if I had dated anyone since I started working for you.”
Under the table, he put his hand on her. “It’s okay. I guess we’ll have to be more careful then, won’t we?”
************************************************************************
Grace sat in the study staring into the fireplace. “Mrs. Collins?” Lucinda stood in the doorway. “A Raymond Walters is here to see you. He is a reporter working on a story about senators’ wives. Do you feel well enough to talk to him?”
“I’m all right for now. Please show him in Lydia.”
Mr. Walters entered the room and reached out his hand. “Please don’t get up, Mrs. Collins. I’m Raymond Walters. Your sister hired me to check up on her husband last week.”
“Please, have a seat. What may I do for you?”
“I won’t take much of your time, I know you’re not well these days.” Grace nodded as he continued. “Well, the thing is, I saw your husband at a restaurant dining with his assistant, Miss Perkins.”
“Yes?” Grace began to grip the arm of the chair a bit tighter.
“I’ve seen his name in the news a bunch lately because of his bill. It has something to do with illegal aliens, right?”
“That is correct.”
“I thought it might be a good idea to go say hello. It’s always a good idea to make friends with politicians. Anyway, I was about to go over then when I saw something strange. When they thought no one was watching, he winked at her.”
“Mr. Walters, if you came in here to tell me that my husband winked at his assistant, you’ve wasted your time. He is warm, loving man and…”
“I’m sorry to interrupt, Mrs. Collins but there’s more. Much more. You see, I followed them after work one evening and, well…” He pulled some photos from his pocket. “They are extremely careful. They reserved two separate rooms but about thirty minutes after they checked in, he went to her room.” He placed the pictures in her hands. “I tried to talk to them, pretending to be a reporter to see if I could get them to slip up somehow but they brushed me off.”
She stared at them with a blank expression. When she did speak, her voice was flat and cold “Who else knows about this, Mr. Walters?”
“Just me, Mrs. Collins. And no one else has to know if you wouldn’t mind writing me a check for a few thousand dollars.”
Sirens raged in her head as she fought the anger. Yet when she spoke, she continued in an even tone. “This is a very disturbing situation, Mr. Walters. I’m not feeling well so you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t take care of your business today. Why don’t you come to the fundraiser gala tomorrow night? I’ll take care of things then, okay?” She closed her eyes and leaned back into her chair.
“I’ll be there, Mrs. Collins and why don’t you just make that check for a cool half a million?”
She nodded slowly. “Just bring the negatives and I’ll bring the check.”
************************************************************************ When the senator arrived at home, he found a note with his glass of brandy that read “Edward, it’s been a long day. Forgive me for not joining you this evening. Love, Grace.”
She stood by her bed and stared down at her collection of pill bottles. With a trembling hand, she picked one and held it to her breast.
************************************************************************
When the announcer had finished speaking, the donors stood at their tables and applauded. The band started playing and the audience dispersed to dance and gather drinks at the bar.
Mrs. Collins waited until the crowd had thinned a bit and ordered a brandy. She stood for a long time, watching everyone around her. After she made sure no one was paying attention she turned and dropped four small pills into the glass. While she waited for them to dissolve, she concentrated on controlling her breath.
She delivered the beverage and took her seat at the table. She smiled at the band and kept time with a light tap on the table. She watched her husband smile and talk and felt the knot in her stomach. When he put his hand to his forehead, she rose from her seat and looked around the room.
“Are you ready to take care of some unfinished business, Mr. Walters?” she asked with a forced smile.
He nodded and finished off his drink.
“Good. Hector has my car outside. Please come with me.” She took his arm and they left the room.
After they settled themselves inside the warmth of the limo, she let the smile drop from her face and held out her hand. “Now, Mr. Walters, would you please be so kind as to give me the negatives and any printed photos you might have?”
“You’ve got the money then?”
“It’s in the trunk. I’ll have Hector get it for you when we stop.”
“Great. Here you go.” He tried to hand her the package but his vision failed him and dropped it. When he tried to pick it up, he could not keep his balance and fell forward.
She watched as he tried to sit up and ended up slouching in his seat. With ease, she leaned forward and took the package. “Are you not feeling well, Mr. Walters?”
“No. I’m feeling very weak. I think I’m getting sick. Let’s just pull over and you can give me my money and I’ll not bother you again.” He tried to stay alert while he spoke.
“You’re not weak. You’re dying.” She said as he tried to frown. “You see, I love my husband more than you could ever understand. And he loves me. But he’s got a big heart. I’ve always known that.”
Mr. Walters tried to nod but instead he let his chin rest on his chest. He struggled to reach for something in his pocket.
“Don’t try. Your muscles are relaxing and you soon your heart will join them. Let me finish. I knew about Amanda. I’ve known about her since the beginning. She is not a plaything and more of a woman than you would have ever been able to print in your terrible paper.” She listened to his shallow breathing. “And I love my husband too much to ever let someone like you destroy his career or his happiness.”
The car stopped and Hector pulled Mr. Walter’s body out of the car and threw it against the curb. “Are you okay Senora?”
She closed her eyes and nodded slowly. “Please just take me home.”
“Si. Your husband called. He is waiting.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home